Global Entry Frequently Asked Questions (2024)

Eligibility for Global Entry

Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:

  • Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  • Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;
  • Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  • Are subjects of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  • Have been denied for the purchase of a firearm;
  • Have received a criminal pardon from any country;
  • Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they
  • Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

You can visit the FBI website for additional information (


  • To submit a challenge through the mail, please mail your request to:

FBI CJIS Division
Attn: Criminal History Analysis Team 1
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

(When submitting a challenge via mail, include your NICS Transaction Number (NTN) or State Transaction Number (STN). Failure to include these numbers will delay processing.)

TTP works with countries around the world to provide foreign nationals with access to the Global Entry Program. There may be additional requirements you must meet depending on our country of citizenship. To find current foreign partner agreements and if additional requirements must be met, select an International Arrangement and your country of citizenship.

If your country has a bilateral trusted traveler arrangement with CBP, you may participate in Global Entry provided you are not entering the U.S. under one of the following visa categories:

  • C-1 - Alien in Transit
  • C-2 - Alien in Transit to United Nations
  • C-3 - Foreign Government Official In transit
  • H-1C - Registered Nurse
  • H-2A - Agricultural worker
  • H-2B - Unskilled worker
  • H-2R - Returning H-2B
  • H-3 - Trainee
  • K-1 - Fiancé of U.S. Citizen
  • K-2 - Child of K-1
  • K-3 - Spouse of U.S. Citizen
  • K-4 - Child of K-3
  • M-1 - Vocational student
  • M-2 - Spouse/child of M-1
  • N-8 - Parent of SK-3
  • N-9 - Child of N-8, SK-1, SK-2, SK-4
  • Q-1 - Participant in an International Exchange Program
  • Q-2 - Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Principal
  • Q-3 - Spouse and Minor Children of Q-2
  • S-5 - Witness/Informant
  • S-6 - Witness/Informant
  • S-7 - Family members of S-5, S-6
  • T-1 - Trafficking victim
  • T-2 - Spouse of T-1
  • T-3 - Child of T-1
  • T-4 - Parent of T-1
  • T-5 - Sibling of T-1
  • U-1 - Criminal Activity Victim
  • U-2 - Spouse of U-1
  • U-3 - Child of U-1
  • U-4 - Parent of U-1
  • U-5 - Sibling of U-1

Using Global Entry

You must report to a CBP officer at the nearest staffed CBP passport control booth. You do not have to get back in line. The CBP officer at the passport control booth will review your documents, determine the reason for the referral and either release you from there or refer you to "secondary" for additional processing.

The Global Entry Mobile App will allow members to validate their arrival into the U.S. on their iOS or Android device prior to entering the Federal Inspection Services area which will expedite their processing time.

Head-of-the-line privilege is only available at U.S. airports that have Global Entry. Head-of-the-line privilege is reserved for program members if the processing technology is unavailable, if a member gets referred to a CBP officer, and at the exit points.

U.S. lawful permanent residents must use their I-551 permanent resident card with the Global Entry processing technology.

Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the United States. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

No. Global Entry members can choose not to use the Global Entry processing technology and can be processed by CBP officers.

No, only Global Entry members can use the Global Entry lanes.

After you have submitted your application and scheduled an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, contact the Global Entry Enrollment Center where your interview is scheduledto request a reasonable modification or auxiliary aid or service to complete the Global Entry application process. Requests for a modification, aid, or service should be made as soon as possible and prior to the date of an interview to allow sufficient time for making the appropriate arrangements at the interview location.

Partner Expedited Travel Programs

U.S. Citizens enrolled in Global Entry may use the Smartgate system when entering Australia and/or New Zealand without registration. U.S. Citizens may apply for the Dutch Privium program, the Korean SES program, Panama's Global Pass, Taiwan's e-Gate, Germany's EasyPASS, or the Mexican Viajero Confiable program for expedited entry into those countries. Additional fees and enrollment interviews may apply.

The Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) PreCheck allows for expedited airport screening at TSA checkpoints in specific airports. Global Entry members are eligible for TSA PreCheck benefits.

For more information about TSA PreCheck.

Yes, Korean citizens may apply for Global Entry. Korean citizens must first enroll in the Smart Entry Service (SES) program operated by the Korean Immigration Service.

Korean citizens submit Global Entry applications through theKorean Government's website. After submitting the Global Entry application, Korean applicants must then create a Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP)account. Applicants will log into the account and pay the $100 Global Entry application fee. Once conditionally approval status is granted, applicants will be invited to schedule a Global Entry interview through their TTP account at an enrollment center or via Enrollment on Arrival when arriving to the U.S. on an international flight complete the enrollment process.

Yes. To participate in Global Entry, Korean applicants must be at least 17 years of age.

Global Entry Membership Information

Find your Trusted Traveler's membership number by logging into your Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP)account. The membership number is listed toward the top of the page. The membership number, also known as your PASS ID, is also on the back of Trusted Traveler cards.

All Global Entry members can update their passport information through their TTP account. Click on "Update Documents." If the passport update involves a name change, you must visit a Global Entry enrollment center to update your information.

If you would like a copy of your Identity History Summary, you may submit a request to the FBI. The FBI offers three options for requesting your summary or proof that a summary doesn't exist.

For more information, please read the How to Challenge and How to Obtain Your FBI Identity History Summary brochure.

If you believe your Identity History Summary contains inaccurate or incomplete information, you may request a change or correction by contacting the agency or agencies that originally submitted the information to the FBI. However, most states require that changes of Identity History Summary information be processed through their respective state centralized agency (State Identification Bureau). For the State Identification Bureau listing refer to:

For more information, please read the How to Challenge and How to Obtain Your FBI Identity History Summary brochure.

Renewing Global Entry Membership

You become eligible to renew your membership one year prior to program expiration.If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date.

Follow these steps to renew Global Entry membership:

  1. Log on

    Log ontothe TTP website(

    If you don't have a account, you will be directed to to create an account first then you will be prompted to setup your TTP account profile. On the profile page, you will need to associate the account with your PASSID (membership number). See the back of your Trusted Traveler card or your approval letter.

  2. Renew

    From your Dashboard, select the Renew button on your Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST program membership section. You must declare your citizenship (if you are a US Citizen, you declare "U.S.").

  3. Select

    Select the program that you wish to renew. You may select to renew another program for which you are eligible. However, remember that depending on the program you choose, your benefits may change. On the next page, acknowledge the program requirements.

  4. Follow

    Follow the guidelines provided on the Membership Renewal page.

  5. Confirm and Continue

    When you have updated all information in the application, on the Final Review page, click Confirm and Continue in each section. At the bottom of the page, click Save and Continue.

  6. Certify

    On the Certify page, answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"

  7. Next

    Select Next. The Purchase Summary page will display.

  8. Check

    Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. Check the box under the total application fee to agree and proceed.

  9. Select Pay Now. The online payment page displays.

  10. After payment, you will be returned to your TTP Dashboard.

An interview for program membership renewal may not be necessary. Once you submit your renewal application and fee, check your TTP account periodically for updates on what actions are necessary to complete the renewal process. You will receive an email when your membership status changes.

Global Entry Cards

Only U.S. Citizens, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, and Mexican nationals are issued Global Entry cards.

CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using the card at land and sea ports of entry.

CBP began issuing Global Entry radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on July 12, 2011, to new Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, and Mexican nationals (who do not already have a SENTRI card) at no additional cost.

No, it is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry card to continue using Global Entry an airport. A card is only required for expedited entry at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States.

New members will receive their Global Entry card 2-4 weeks after approval for Global Entry.

If you have a U.S. address, the card will be mailed there. If you do not have a U.S. address, it will be sent to your designated U.S. point of contact or to a Global Entry enrollment center that you designate.

Activate your card within 30 days of receipt or you will be unable to use your card at the Trusted Traveler lanes. To activate your card, log into your TTP account. After you sign in, click on the Activate Membership Card button under the Program Membership(s) section on the Homepage.

You can request a replacement card by logging into your TTP account and selecting Manage Membership. Next select Request for Global Entry Card. A $25 fee is charged for the replacement card. By requesting the replacement card, the original card will be deactivated and no longer functional.

For Global Entry Members at NEXUS/SENTRI Lanes

Log into yourTTPaccount. From your Dashboard click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar). Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee. Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency.

Global Entry members who wish to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lanes, must register their vehicle with CBP and schedule an appointment at a SENTRI enrollment center to conduct a 7-point vehicle inspection.

There are no additional requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. However, Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks; travelers must apply separately for NEXUS.

If you register your vehicle in SENTRI as part of your initial Global Entry application, there is no fee. If you wish to register your vehicle after your initial application, you must pay a $42 registration fee for a CBP vehicle inspection at a SENTRI enrollment center.

For NEXUS and SENTRI Members using Global Entry

All current NEXUS members, U.S. citizens, and U.S. lawful permanent residents who are SENTRI members, are eligible to use Global Entry once they provide fingerprints and document information to CBP. If CBP already has your fingerprints and document information on file, you can use Global Entry without further action and at no additional cost. If you are a Mexican national in SENTRI, you must apply for Global Entry through your TTP account. For additional Global Entry benefit information, log on to your TTP account.

No, when you use the Global Entry processing technology, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card, if required. Global Entry cards do not work when entering the U.S. by air.

No, when you use the airport Global Entry processing technology, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card, if required. The SENTRI cards do not work when entering the U.S. by air.

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry processing technology at Canadian Preclearance locations only. When using Global Entry at Canadian Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card, or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card with the Global Entry processing technology outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports of entry, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.

Anyone with a travel document is eligible to apply for SENTRI.

Contact the information center at 1 (877) 227-5511 to cancel or reschedule within 24 hours.

Children and Travel Companions

Global Entry benefits are member specific and cannot be extended to others.

Yes. Children may enroll in Global Entry. Minor children 18 years or younger are required to have parental or legal guardianship permission.

Minor children that do not have a parent or legal guardian enrolled in Global Entry may enroll. A parent or legal guardian must give permission and must be present at the time of the interview.

Enrollment on Arrival (EoA)

No. Applicants must have already completed the application through Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP)website. and received a Conditional Approval notification to complete the EoA.

You can still participate in EoA upon arriving in the United States at an EoA eligible airport if you already have an interview scheduled. Simply proceed to the EoA CBP booth upon arrival at the CBP Federal Inspection Services area.

Your scheduled interview will be canceled automatically after you complete the Enrollment on Arrival process. No further action is needed on your part.

No. Only those who are entering the U.S. Customs and Border Protection area after arriving from an international flight can participate in EoA.

Individuals traveling through domestic airports may verify whether the airport has an Enrollment Center at which they may schedule an interview or can immediately accept conditionally approved persons to complete walk-in enrollments. You may verify the locations and Enrollment Centers’ hours of operation online through the Trusted Traveler Website.

No. A Global Entry conditionally approved applicant may simply arrive at an EoA booth in the CBP Federal Inspection Services area at a participating airport.

No.Traveling to an EoA participating airport is a decision of convenience for the applicant.

This depends on the airport at which you’re arriving. Please check with a CBP Officer at the Enrollment on Arrival Port of Entry to determine if your complete travel party can utilize the EoA lane.

To complete the interview via EoA, you must be in possession of the following documents:

  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them all to the interview so that the information can be added to your file.
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc. This is not required for minors.
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable).

The final decision notification timeline can vary. Please monitor your email and check your TTP account for updates regarding the status of your Global Entry application.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is currently planning to expand EoA to additional airports. Travelers can review the EoA webpage on the CBP website for EoA expansion updates.

Global Entry Frequently Asked Questions (2024)


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Geoffrey Lueilwitz

Last Updated:

Views: 5705

Rating: 5 / 5 (80 voted)

Reviews: 95% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Geoffrey Lueilwitz

Birthday: 1997-03-23

Address: 74183 Thomas Course, Port Micheal, OK 55446-1529

Phone: +13408645881558

Job: Global Representative

Hobby: Sailing, Vehicle restoration, Rowing, Ghost hunting, Scrapbooking, Rugby, Board sports

Introduction: My name is Geoffrey Lueilwitz, I am a zealous, encouraging, sparkling, enchanting, graceful, faithful, nice person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.